Monday, August 20, 2007

"Onside Kick Jesus"

So you were wondering about the significance of my home page Jesus football picture? Alas, they are legion...well maybe not legion, but I can think of at least three (I'm imagining myself saying that in a Conan O'Brien kind of way, but unfortunately, I have not yet mastered the fine art of inserting voice inflection into the blogosphere). By the way, why does my blogging program highlight blogosphere when I use spell checker (and why did I feel compelled to spell check "spell checker" just now)?

Well, back to the subject at hand...the first reason is no more dramatic than the fact that when I was putting together my blog for the first time, it just happened to be a picture that was on my hard drive, and I had no clue how to post something from the internet (even now I am sensing the mockery and derision of veteran bloggers like Eric Swanson emanating from the blogosphere).

Secondly, I consider the picture to be somewhat symbolic of the values of Dangerous RAT's...as if Dangerous RAT's has values...what an insanely vain idea for a blogger... ~ open your bibles to to Matthew chapter 5, today we will be discussing the values of Ken Miller's blog in the context of the Sermon on the Mount...can't you just hear John Piper preaching that sermon? This is only my 2nd posting, and already I am having delusions that my blog has "values"!

So maybe it doesn't symbolize values, but I do have some random connection going on in my cerebral cortex about how this picture of Jesus probably creates dissonance for non -autonomous thinkers. In fact, any day now there will a boycott of my blog by the Southern Baptists. (I'm not suggesting that Southern Baptists are non-autonomous thinkers, just that they are more skilled in the world of boycotting than some other denominations). My good friend and fellow elder at Cornerstone Church Brian Carlucci (or Luchador as Joe Cross aka J-Cro calls him) recently preached a sermon about the limitations of how we "picture" Jesus. During the entire sermon, I kept thinking that he should be using this picture... but he is young, and not as adept at inserting randomness into his preaching as I am yet...which is probaly why he is being asked to preach more often than I am these days.

Brians sermon;
One of mine; http://www.gocornerstone.org/media/sermons/KingdomPerspective_090306.mp3





{reason 3 will appear in "Onside Kick Jesus" part 2}

No comments: